ECE5658: Operating System Design (Summer 2010)
Papers marked with will be presented by students. You should submit evaluations for those papers before each class.
Computer Systems Research
- B. Lampson, "Hints for Computer System Design," SOSP, 1983.
- R. Levin and D. Redell, "An Evaluation of the Ninth SOSP Submissions or How (and How Not) to Write a Good Systems Paper," Operating System Review, 17:3, July 1983.
- J. Saltzer, D. Reed, and D. Clark, "End-to-end Arguments in System Design," TOCS, 1984.
- D. Patterson, "How to Have a Bad Career in Research/Academia," CRA Academic Careers Workshop, 2002.
- A. Brown, A. Chandra, R. Farrow, A. Fedorova, P. Maniatis, and M. Scott, "The Many Faces of Systems Research - And How To Evaluate Them," HotOS, 2005.
Processes and Threads
- Tom Anderson, "Scheduler Activations: Effective Kernel Support for the User-Level Management of Parallelism", ACM TOCS 1992
- J. Ousterhout, "Why Threads Are A Bad Idea (for most purposes)", talk slide
- M. Welsh, "SEDA: An Architecture for Well-Conditioned, Scalable Internet Services", SOSP, 2001.
- R. Behren, "Capriccio: Scalable Threads for Internet Services", SOSP, 2003.
- B. Jacob and T. Mudge, "Virtual Memory: Issues of Implementation," IEEE Computer, June 1998.
- B. Jacob and T. Mudge, "Virtual Memory in Contemporary Microprocessors," IEEE Micro, July-August 1998.
- J. Navarro, S. Iyer, P. Druschel, and A. Cox, "Practical, Transparent Operating System Support for Superpages," OSDI, 2002.
- H. Huang, P. Pillai, and K. Shin, "Design and Implementation of Power-Aware Virtual Memory," USENIX, 2003.
Reliability and Safety
- O. Laadan, "Transparent Checkpoint-Restart of Multiple Processes on Commodity Operating Systems", USENIX, 2007.
- R. Teodorescu, "Variation-Aware Application Scheduling and Power Management for Chip Multiprocessor", ISCA, 2008.
- D. Porter, et. al, "Operating Systems Transactions", SOSP, 2009.
- E. Gal and S. Toledo, "Algorithms and Data Structures for Flash Memories," ACM Computing Surveys, 2005.
- S. Iyer and P. Druschel, "Anticipatory Scheduling: A Disk Scheduling Framework to Overcome Deceptive Idleness in Synchronous I/O," SOSP, 2001.
- A. Rajimwale, V. Prabhakaran, and J. Davis, "Block Management in Solid-State Devices," USENIX, 2009.
- M. McKusick, W. Joy, S. Leffler, and R. Fabry, "A Fast File System for UNIX," ACM TOCS, 1984.
- M. Rosenblum and J. Ousterhout, "The Design and Implementation of a Log-Structured File System," ACM TOCS, 1992.
- A. Muthitacharoen, B. Chen, and D. Mazieres, "A Low-bandwidth Network File System, SOSP, 2001.
- S. Ghemawat, H. Gobioff, and S.-T. Leung, "The Google File System," SOSP, 2003.
- C. Waldspurger, "Memory Resource Management in VMware ESX Server", OSDI, 2002.
- X. Chen et al., "Overshadow: A Virtualization-Based Approach to Retrofitting Protection in Commodity Operating Systems", ASPLOS, 2008.
- J. Stoess et al., "Energy Management for Hypervisor-Based Virtual Machines", USENIX, 2007.