|| 10:30 - 11:45 (Monday and Wednesday)
|| Lecture room #400112, Semiconductor Building
|| Jinkyu Jeong |
Computer Systems Laboratory
Many modern processors provide multiple computing cores within a chip. From servers to embedded systems, multiple cores are favorable design alternative for higher performance. Parallel computing has a long history in Computer Science. Many interesting workloads today are parallel by nature. Parallel computing is on the verge of becomming highlighted in all fields of application areas. Architecture and compiler technology in parallel computing will be studied in this course.
- P. S. Pacheco, "An Introduction to Parallel Programming", Morgan Kaufmann, 2010
- M. Herlihy, N. Shavit, "The art of Multiprocessor Programming", Morgan Kaufmann, 2004
- D. Culler, J.P. Singh, "Parallel Computer Architecture: A Hardware/Software Approach"
- M. J. Quinn, "Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP"
- J. A. Fisher, P. Faraboschi, C. Young, "Embedded Computing - A VLIW Approach to Architecture, Compilers, and Tools"
- B. Chapman, G. Jost, R.v.d. Pas, D.J. Kuck, "Using OpenMP: Portable Shared Memory Parallel Programming"
- W. Gropp, E. Lusk, A. Skjellum, "Using MPI: Portable Parallel Programming with the Message Passing Interface", 2nd edition.
|| (Subject to change)
- Attendance 10%
- Projects 30%
- Mid-term exam 30%
- Final-term exam 30%
2. Parallel Computing (Chapter 1) - pdf
3. Parallel Hardware (Chapter 2.1-2.3) - pdf
4. Parallel Software (Chapter 2.4-2.10) - pdf
5. Pthread (Chapter 4) - pdf
6. MPI (Chapter 3) - mpi-1.pdf
7. MPI (Chapter 3) - mpi-2.pdf
8. MPI (Chapter 3) - mpi-3.pdf
9. MPI (Chapter 3) - mpi-4.pdf
10. OpenMP (Chapter 5) - openmp-1.pdf
11. OpenMP (Chapter 5) - openmp-2.pdf
12. OpenMP (Chapter 5) - openmp-3.pdf
13. SMP - smp.pdf (updated)
14. ScalableCoherence - scalable-coherence.pdf
| Teaching Assistants:
Jungsik Choi, email@example.com, Corporate Collaboration Center #85565
- 2014/03/31: Homework 1 is assigned. The due date is 2014/04/07.
- 2014/04/02: Project 1 is assigned. Due is on 18th of April, 2014.
Submission format (Please remove .txt extension)
About the team organization and the grading policy, please refer to the materials in the iCampus site.
- 2014/04/21: Mid-term exam is scheduled at 10:30 AM on April 21.
- 2014/05/14: Project 2 is assigned. Due is June 6, 2014.
Please refer to the iCampus site.
- 2014/06/11: Final exam is scheduled at 10:30 AM on June 18.
- 2014/06/22 : The final exam result is updated. show
Please ask the professor if you want to see your exam sheet. Claims should be made by the end of June 25th. The prof. is not available on 24th of June.